In South Louisiana this is what we call “Festival Time” The spring and early summer in this area is packed with festivals of all shapes in sizes celebrating things from food, family music, culture and everything in between. The largest festival in my area is Festival International which is a music festival celebrating music from all over the world. Its so big around this area that people have dubbed it “Festival” and this year its the 25th anniversary so I am sure that its going to be a great one. When it comes to festivals people gather to enjoy great food, music and company but if you are like me dressing for festival is almost as fun as going.
My best friend, who hates festival, says that people pull out their “hippie clothes” for festival and I would have to agree with him. You see lots of braless women in earth tones and sandals but that doesn’t mean that you can’t rock a great outfit while fitting in and being cool and comfy too.
There are a few essentials that any festival goer needs in order to be cool, comfortable and crazy cute during a fun filled weekend in the sun.
1. A Sundress in a fun print or earth tone color - A dress is key for staying cool. It is normally so hot this time of year in Louisiana that if you are in pants at Festival you won’t make it past lunchtime. Choose a fabric that will stand up to getting wet (with sweat eww I know) and won’t stick to you, cotton is the best choice. If you go for a longer style like a maxi dress you may want to tie the bottom in a knot so that it doesn’t drag in the dust all day long leaving you dirty
2. Sunglasses - You will not make the full weekend without a great pair of sunglasses. Not only do they keep you from squinting they complete the look of a laid back, music lovin, carefree girl.
3. Sun Hat - I would say that a hat is optional. I have a crazy big head so I can’t get away with wearing most hats but referencing the heat again a hat is a nice way to keep your scalp form getting sunburnt and staying cool. Also who can resist how freaking cute most girls look in a sundress and big floppy hat.
4. Sandals - You will want something more than a standard flip flop for Festival. There will be lots of dancing and walking and most of the time regular flip flops will hurt your feet after a long day. I like to choose strappy sandals, they stay on your feet and have little to no friction in between your toes, because regular thong flip flops when mixed with dirt can leave some pretty nasty blisters.
5. Cross Body Bag – You will need to have your hands free while at Festival mostly for holding your schedule and a cocktail but who wants to carry around a big bag anyway? These super cute cross body bags are really versatile and surprisingly cheap. There is just enought room to fit your phone, keys, ID and money for a great weekend of fun at Festival.
Other essentials you should think about:
- Sunscreen – from one white girl to another apply sunscreen before you leave home..once you have had a few drinks you will forget and you will be sorry
- Baby Wipes – after walking around in dust all day long you may want to clean your feet up from time to time, not to mention the bathrooms don’t normally have toilet paper..yuck.
- Coozie – great for keeping your drink cool while you sway to the beat of the drums.
- Water Bottle – keep hydrated throughout the weekend, not only will this keep you from having a hangover but it will keep you going throughout the day.
- ID and money – Don’t forget your ID and cash so that you will be able to buy all of your Festival goodies and sample some of the great food and drink there is to offer.
No matter what festival you are attending this spring/summer these essentials will work for you.
Are you going to Festival this year? What’s your favorite thing about Festival International? Leave your thoughts in the comments or tweet them to me @mlj2374.
See you there
-Drama mama out
Share on Facebook