Let’s be honest, summer doesn’t have the same appeal as an adult as it did as a kid. Work doesn’t care that its sunny outside or that you really want to just hang out by the pool or catch a movie or lunch with friends. So I decided to compile all of the things that recently have me feeling like a fat kid with a Popsicle on a hot summer day.
1. Cute, Cheap Accessories – Ok so this is not really just a summer thing, I am always in favor of cute and cheap accessories. I snagged this super cute little gold medallion with the words “Oui Oui” enscribed on it from Forever 21. For those of you that don’t know it means “Yes, Yes” in French (Thanks 15 hours of college French!) Kind of random but super cute and only $3.80 can’t beat that for a cute little conversation starter that looks super cute with almost anything and adds a little easy going attitude to any outfit.
2. Cucumber Martinis – Well any cucumber cocktail to be honest. I was introduced to cucumber margaritas a year or so ago and on a recent trip to Dallas I had my first cucumber martini…AMAZING! Not only is it super refreshing and light, you feel a little healthy drinking it and don’t forget that you are basically getting in a vegetable serving with the garnish, SCORE! No honestly the flavor of cucumber goes so nicely with gin (I don’t even normally like gin) and even vodka. I have tried making these at home…not bad but its best to leave them to the professionals, it will give you a chance to get dressed up and order the 2012 version of the Sex and the City Cosmo.
3. The Olympics – I have LOVED the summer Olympics for as long as I can remember. I did gymnastics as a kid and there will always be a part of me that likes to pretend that I was an elite gymnast on my way to the Olympics. I mean who doesn’t remember some epic Olympic triumph with tears in their eyes…Kerri Strug, one legged landing, say no more! No honestly I love everything about the Olympics, national pride, amazing and entertaining sports events, exposure and appreciation for unknown sports and the tears…The opening ceremony is tonight and I cannot wait. I will have on my super cute burnout torch tee that I picked up at Old Navy cheering on Team USA for the next few weeks!
4. Barely There Underwear - My momma always taught me to wear full butt panties. I am litterally one of the only people I know not to wear thongs and I like it that way. I wear lots of dresses for work that require me to wear Spanx or some sort of seamless undergarmet so that you can’t see lines all over the place. Now that I am a bit thinner and no longer need Spanx with everything (woo hoo!) these little seamless boyshorts are amazing. I picked up two pair to try them out and after wearing them I went right back and bought 4 more pair. I have coined them as “work panties” they are seamless (kind of like double layered panty hose material) don’t show under your clothes, not restricting like Spanx and they are way more attractive than a crotchless girdle like contraption from knees to boobs. They are about $8 t $10 a pair which is not super cheap but they are worth every penny!
5. Quirky Note Cards - I litterally have a drawer full of note cards for all occassions, no seriously I have like 15 to 20 different styles. There is something really special about sending someone a random card in the mail for no readon with a silly, funny message. Some of my favorite ones say things like “WTF” “Greetings from Crazyville” and “Hello” I normally pick mine up at Target or small specialty stores when I find them but they have ocmpletely replaced every other card I used to buy, Birthday cards, thank yous etc. Fun and functional!
6. Sephora’s Foundation Primer - I have tried tons of primers but I got this one as a sample and I love it. It makes my skin so smooth and matte before putting on my foundation which makes it really stay put. With this hot weather in Louisiana, primer like this is key in keeping my makeup looking good from morning until night.
7. Pilates on the Go – I love doing Pilates but I don’t always have access to my dvds or a class to attend so these little breakdowns of simple combos of standard Pilates exercises make is easy to get my workout in on the go. I have a ton of these pinned on Pinterest for quick reference and I can easily combine them for a full work out if I have time and I can do them wherever I am, in a hotel room, in the park (ok I may look a little silly) or at home.
What are your favorite things of Summer?
-Drama mama outRead More